June 29, 2012

FRIDAY UP N' UP PRESENTS "DRIPZ"


Matthew Aaron Clive "Dripz" is an artist, producer, founder of author, and a Christian signed to Bountiful Records the label he founded. He is the son of musician. He was born in Etobicoke, ON, raised in Church of The Holy Spirit, Anglican Church. Dripz began rapping at the age of 13 rapping to over Eminem and 2pac songs. His teenage life was full of angst and he rebelled against authority and got in trouble with the law. Not having a steady father figure led Dripz to idolize the gangsta rap lifestyle. Eventually God called Dripz out of the wordly life of drug dealing and abuse. Dripz decided he would become a Christian rapper but it was a struggle to completely stop sinning. Dripz has never felt completely accepted by religious people but always knew God loved him. After much hardship and struggle Dripz has finally been allowed the opportunity to release his music and start his record label. Dripz used to be a wordly reference but now symbolizes the blood of Jesus that drips over and cleansed Dripz life, professionally and personally. Since accepting his call he is working to spread the word of God through his music. He is currently working on new mixtape #JESUSWAG which is due to drop at the end of June. This mixtape is set to blaze the path for a slew of mixtapes and songs and a tour around the world spreading the Gospel of Christ. He plans to make his record label Bountiful Records an international label that has no boundaries bringing people all over the world for the glory of God.
Full Artist Profile, Links, and Interview after the Jump!



Datt Piff Mixtape:
http://www.datpiff.com/Dripz-jesuswag-mixtape.368083.html






Contact:



Interview:

Rhyme Talk: How did Dripz initially find christ?
Dripz: To be honest I think Christ found me first. lol. As a teenager I was always a lover of knowledge and wisdom. I read Plato, Spinoza , Nietzche and all of that. Than I dove into religions experimented with a bit Buddhism, Islam to name a few. I never really stick to any of them. It wasn't until I was 18 and going through a bad relationship and drug problems that Jesus showed me nothing but him could save me from my Sin.

Rhyme Talk: How did you fall in love with hip hop and connect it to your spiritual life?
Dripz: Natural to me. Until I became a Christian I never thought about talking about god through music. I was more or less seeking him through music and other activities. Music gave me an outlet to reflect something in me on the outside. Even as a Christian I struggled for a long time with myself on whether or not it was right to rap about God because religious people around me said it wasnt. It wasn't until I had some deep self searching an scripture searching that I realized it was ok.

Rhyme Talk: How have you developed and grown as an artist?
Dripz: Hard work. Spending hours honing your craft. I will literally spend hours recording music. I don't write music, I've developed a process over the years that works for me. My hope is that my fans and listeners will hear that dedication and consistent improvement of the quality of my music over the years.

Rhyme Talk: What's your vision when it comes to building a movement and fanbase?
Dripz: I want everyone to like my music. Whether you are Christian or not. I don't believe unbelievers can be won through that old religious attitude. We need to convey that real life attitude that Jesus had towards sinners. I want to show being a Christian isn't about being a perfect holier than thou type person. I want people to know I sin, I was a sinner, I make mistakes. But there is a God who loves us and sees past that, who believes in us.

Rhyme Talk: What's your writing process like?
Dripz: I don't write. I usually just hear a beat whatever comes is whatever comes.

Rhyme Talk: What do you think Christian hip hop needs to do in order to get better?
Dripz: Personally, especially being from Canada I think we need more support from our communities. I get a lot of love from The States but Canada things can get a little cold (no pun intended).

Rhyme Talk: Would you collab with a secular artist or producer?
Dripz: Depends. Producers no question, I'll work with any of them. Artists I'm open to but I'm not about cussing. I think a lot of secular artists have good things to say even if they aren't Christian. On the other hand the negative messages and darkness some secular artists are involved in I can't accept. If they have positive things to say and don't cuss we can definitely work together.

Rhyme Talk: Who would you consider to be a pioneer for the Christian hip hop game?
Dripz: Lecrae. I think Da Truth has been in the game for a long time as well. Reach Records has had the biggest crossover movement and impact in both Secular and Christian industries. Definitely some real pioneers.

Rhyme Talk: And If you did a song with them what would it be called and be about?
Dripz: Wow. That would be a dream come true and an honor. Shout outs to the whole Reach Record camp. I'd love to do a song with Crae, Pro, Lee about the awesomeness of God's saving power. Call it unshakable or unmoveabl3. With some real powerful beat, me on the hook, song would be beast.

Rhyme Talk: What label do you feel is looking the strongest in terms of roster?
Dripz: Reach Records

Rhyme Talk: What do you feel are some controversial topics to rap about as a christian?
Dripz: Being a real Christian is controversial. If you are a true follower of Christ, even in the Church. We live in such a politically correct fear based society no one is willing to speak up and be open. I'd say any of major sins and going through them. Fornication, drug abuse, violence, falling in our walk , hatred , lies, money hungry pastors, materialism amongst believers, religious attitudes , lack of love. Remember Jesus came to heal the sick...

Rhyme Talk: How would you handle a song without a beat? Challenging?
Dripz: I could do it. I am involved in spoke word and poetry in my local community.

Rhyme Talk: What's your opinion on using secular beats? Or redoing a secular song?
Dripz: It's not what goes into a man that defiles him. But what comes out of his mouth.

Rhyme Talk: have you faced any heavy criticism as an artist since you began to carry Christ?
Dripz: Surprisingly no. I don't have as much support in my own country amongst believers as I desire. So its almost a passive criticism. It's like " yeah your doing that, so what? " If I was in The States I'd probably have more support, and more real haters.

Rhyme Talk: Struggles are widely popularized in secular rap, how would you feel about these struggles also being popularized in Christian hip hop?
Dripz: People fail. Straight up. Adam failed and so does everyone else who came after him. The thing that happens with people in society is we create images and people expect us to be perfect. We can't , no one can. Being a Christian magnifies this because we preach a higher standard of living when we fall into sin it looks that much worse. But to me that only shows how everyone needs Jesus.

Rhyme Talk: Thanks For your time fam, keep spreading the message.
Dripz: thank you and God Bless

2 comments:

  1. Dripz is the real deal. He has studied alot of religions and has come to his own conclusion. So whatever he says is from his heart. Support his music and his record label. One love.

    T.J.S. (Ontario Paralegal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.datpiff.com/mixtapes-detail.php?id=368083
    DRIPZ #JESUSWAG MIXTAPE CAN BE FOUND HERE.

    ReplyDelete